|

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Perverted Justice, indeed

Chris Hansen's got balls, I'll give him that.

As an avid fan of Dateline NBC's wildly successful To Catch A Predator series, I can tell you that Hansen -- who on the surface looks like your typical blandly handsome network newsman -- knows nothing in the ways of fear.

On each Predator installment -- and I believe there have been roughly 312 of them at this point -- Hansen comfronts another sorry bastard sick enough to want to hit skins with kids and dumb enough to try to meet them in their homes to do it. The pedophiles come in all shapes, sizes, colors and creeds, and Hansen treats each of them like they just shot his dog and dragged it through town. Hansen gleefully reads the damning chat transcripts to the horrified men, graphic dialogues that torpedo any possible alibi. Again, Hansen is positively giddy as he does this. Sometimes it seems a bit like piling on to me -- 90 percent of the dudes realize that their lives are, for all intents and purposes, over as this is happening -- but then I remember these guys like to do children. This typically sterilizes my sense of pity.

Now here's where Chris Hansen's blandly handsome balls come in. In the segment's infancy, this sting operation was like shooting fish in barrel. But now the pervs know the score. It's discussed in chat rooms (this has been reported, I don't know firsthand). And as has been proven in several instances, many of these men are armed and dangerous. One man had an army supply store in his trunk when he was arrested, another -- a shamed Texas politician -- barricated himself in his home before putting a slug into his head. That's one way to evade prison.

Is it just me, or is Hansen putting himself in serious harm's way each time he agrees to do another one of these programs? Maybe it's worth it for him, he is infinitely more famous now and he even has a book coming out about his experiences. Maybe in a business where everyone looks the same, journalistic risks are almost impertative to separate yourself from the pack . Maybe that's part of the reason Bob Woodruff has a dent in his head.

Bottom line is, I don't want Chris Hansen to get picked off by some pervert. It's good to have people like Chris Hansen around. In fact, if I ever find myself face-to-face with, say, a rabid grizzly bear, I want Chris Hansen by my side.

(Chris Hansen -- dressed in an impeccable suit and sporting perfectly-coiffed sandy blonde hair -- steps in between me and savage beast of nature. I have no explanation how this scenario presented itself.)

Chris Hansen: "Why don't you take a seat right there."

Grizzly bear: (Stunned, stammering) "This isn't what it looks like, I wasn't going to ..."

CH: "Wasn't going to what? Tear my friend Dan limb from limb and then eat his flesh?"

GB: "Nooooo ... I just wanted to talk to him."

CH: "That's not what this chat log says."

GB: "Fuck."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand Chris Hansen. Here's why:

http://www.corrupted-justice.com/

This man is turning a profit from the entrapment and humiliation of others, as well as from the sexual exploitation of kids. He's nothing but a big bully. If he really cared about kids, he wouldn't be a money-making vigilante, he would be a cop who actually took down the guys (and women!) who actually wanted to harm people.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker